Overview of Estimating Forage Quantity
Stocking Rate Adjustments
- Estimate the Amount of Forage or Grazing Capacity:
- Cover (Turf)
- Height (Use)
- Volume (Amount)
- Make Adjustments Early Rather than Later
- A Cow Requires .75 to 1 pound of Grazable Forage per 1 pound Body Weight per Day to Maintain Acceptable Intake!!!!!
Reasons to Estimate Forage Quantity or Standing Crop:
- A cow requires .75 to 1 pound of grazable forage per 1 pound of body weight to maintain acceptable intake!
- Allow producers to make stocking rage adjustments before body condition is lost
What is Forage Standing Crop?
- How much forage is available at a certain point in time
- Measured in terms of how much something weighs
- Estimates made by:
- Harvesting a sample with a certain area
- Drying sample in oven
- Weighing dry sample
- Converting that weight to useful figure, such as pound per acre